Saturday, March 8, 2014

Student Life Conference Details

I am very excited about this next weekend's conference!  I love Student Life Conference mostly because I have truly seen students leave it in the past changed.  I believe this to be the case because this conference tends to focus so much on God's Word.  So, please join with me in praying for our students and leaders as we travel to Atlanta together!

Cost Information
Just about everyone has paid at least the initial $40 down payment.  If that is the case for you, your remaining balance will be $75.  It would be great if you can pay that prior to our departure.  You can even do that as you drop your student off that morning.  However, the remaining money will go to reimburse the church for expenses paid during that weekend.  So, if you cannot pay all or any of that by the time we leave, we just need to make sure to get it in, if possible, in the 2 weeks following the weekend.

As stated before, that cost covers everyone's meals while we are at the event.  Students need to bring extra money for eating while we travel.  That includes lunch/dinner on Friday and lunch on Sunday.  We will be back home before dinner on Sunday.

Apart from money for those meals, students should not NEED any more spending money.  However, they are free to bring more for souvenirs and snacks.  I will leave that to your discretion as parents, but students will be responsible for keeping up with their money and budgeting it in order to have enough for lunch on our return trip home.

Schedule Information
We will plan to meet at the church at 9am on Friday (14th).  This means, as I have already indicated, that students will need to plan to miss that day of school.  I would like to leave the church at around 9:20.  Leaving this early allows us enough time to stop for 2 meals and arrive by the 5:30 registration time.

We will leave sometime before lunch on Sunday.  We will shoot to arrive back at the church between 4 and 5pm, but we will allow students to call home when we are about 30 minutes from arriving.

You can see the schedule for the weekend, if you would like, by clicking this link: http://studentlife.com/events/3092/conference-schedule

What to Bring
Bible and pen/pencil (Students will receive a conference booklet with space to take notes, but they can bring their own journal if they desire)

Great, flexible attitudes!

The conference will be casual, so t-shirts are fine, but please NO tank tops.  Students may wear shorts (if the weather permits), but they must be modest in length.  As always, I am the judge and jury for what passes for modest.  :)

Students will need to bring toiletries, but will not need to bring sheets or towels.  They can bring a pillow, if they want, but will not necessarily need to.

They can bring snacks/drinks for their travel and room, but please understand space is limited.  If we run out of room, these will be the first items to leave behind.

No pocket knives, lighters, etc...

If your students require medication, I will be glad to keep that with me and regulate its distribution.  Just let me know.

Portable Electronic Devices
I have done quite a bit of oscillating on this issue over the past couple of years.  I have provided different rules for different circumstances during that time, which I believe to be OK.  Situations differ, and as I pray through this issue, sometimes my stance differs for different reasons.  Let me explain my heart for this specific trip.

More than anything, I want for our students to experience revival, and even initial spiritual awakening, at this conference.  I can't think of any greater hindrance to that than these devices.  Our students are inundated with their use in almost every area of life.  Sometimes we need a break from them so that we can concentrate on each other and what God is speaking through His Word.  For this reason, I have decided to disallow students from bringing any of these devices on this trip.  This includes cell phones/smart phones/ipods or MP3 players/laptops/tablets.  I want our students to grow in fellowship with each other, not zone out to an autonomous, non-social state through the aid of ear phones.  I want our students to be able to fully concentrate on God speaking to them through His Word, not wondering if they have a new text message or facebook message waiting for them in their pockets.  I want students to spend some time this weekend in introspection and confession/repentance, not fighting temptation to satisfy a sinful desire through the portable internet device in their hand.

As always, I will have my phone on and with me at all times.  I will not, however, answer every call, especially if one comes in the middle of a session.  But, I will be listening to messages and returning calls as soon as I can.  If you have an emergency and need to speak to me or your student quickly, the best way to notify me will be through text message or email.  I will have my phone out in order to see any such message that comes through.

If you do not have it already, my number is 336.583.5375.

If you would like for your student to check in with you throughout the weekend, just let me know how you would like for that to happen.  Students may use my phone or another leader's phone to do so on the schedule you prefer.

If you have a unique circumstance in which I may need to allow a concession to this rule, please contact me and we can chat about it.  I am always willing to make an exception, if a special need dictates one necessary.  If you have any questions of concerns about this, please do not hesitate to bring it up.

Wrap Up
Thanks so much for allowing your student to come and be a part of this trip!  Again, please be praying for us as we go.  I would not be surprised if I have failed to answer a question you may have.  If that is the case, do not hesitate to let me know and I will do my best to answer it!  I'm looking forward to a great time at the conference!

No comments:

Post a Comment